Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The result of a good deed

While hiking with my friend Mike, we arrived at a lean-to near Mount Marcy in northern New York State. The lean-to was built upon piers of rocks and one pier seemed to have been knocked out of place. We decided to repair it so the platform would be stable for our stay that night. Mike then decided he would lift the lean-to and I would stick my hands under it and wedge in some of the fallen rocks. First thing I touch, after the rattler was the Swiss army knife below. The one that's an inch thick with the saw blade. I know you can't tell from the picture, but it's an inch thick. An inch thick.

The 2 knives below Chubby (don't you name all your knives?) are my weekday/weekend knives. The larger of the pair is the weekend knife because it had a bit missing from the plastic on the reverse and it is missing the tweezer and the toothpick. I used them as a pair for over a year before I noticed that they were different sizes. I had bought them both in Switzerland in 2001 to replace Ed* (the knife on the left) and purchased them in different cities. I used Trois first for a year or two and then started using Vier after Trois became un peu usé. Untill they became a weekday/weekend pair I never had them out at the same time. They are the Tinker model, I bought that model because it has a phillips screw driver in place of the cork screw, which I rarely use at work. Ed on the left, shows what happens when you try to use a blade as a phillips screwdriver.

The two knives to the right are from my dad, the red one was his workaday knife and the other I found in his dresser. I think it was his dress knife, though I didn't see him carry it much. The family owned a large wholesale florist and around Easter we would have thousands of Hyacinths and Lillys in the sheds and the barn. The smell was intoxicating. I would find excuses to go into the barn just for a sniff. We also had greenhouses full of Cinnerarias for Easter, they didn't smell as good, but the range of colors was amazing. My dad had some pictures, I should find/scan/post them.

Happy Easter.

Hyacinth

*Ed was named after his namesake, who I had worked with for a few years. Ed L. was the first person I remember using a swiss army knife in an office environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment