Saturday, September 1, 2012

Summer Harvest

Japonica Senanense, a dwarf variety from a mountainous region of Japan. I'm very happy with the way this planting has turned out. As I've said before I am not a fan of Sedum, but they are useful in certain places and in this case works beautifully.
I think it has a Shibui Japanese Aesthetic, a balance of simplicity and complexity. Maybe the rock (Mountain) could be a bit larger. The hand-made bowl has black sand incorporated in it.
Eggplants are finally starting to show up, most of the season I had cucumbers in the planter as well which were shading out the Eggplants. I grew tired of cucumber salad and the plants were looking poorly so I yanked them out.
We have had zucchini since early July, by mid August we have usually lost some or all of the plants due to the main stem rotting. I have spent some time removing leaves close to the ground and also old and damaged leaves. Don't know if this helped. I try to pick the zucchini when they are about 6-8 inches long, but sometimes you miss checking for a day or two and you are confronted by baseball bats.  Tomatoes just started ripening about 2 weeks ago so now we have some nice produce to work with.
Hostas are blooming, I bought a dwarf cultivar this year, it is currently hidden in the vegetable garden waiting for me to complete the rain chain garden, which never got started because it was either too hot or too wet to dig trenches for the drainage pipes to handle the overflow from the small pond which will sit at the bottom of the rain chain.

Lost just a few plants over the summer, the second Genetian, an Erodium(I have a second still alive) and a Lewisia. The Campenula were eaten down to the stems, but look to be surviving, I'm guessing slugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment