Saturday, March 31, 2012

A little off-roading in NYC

Yes, but just a little. I didn't expect much of a track and I am glad that I did not have to wait long. On the map I could tell that the location was a parking lot, I wished they had used more of it, but they did a good job with the area they used. The track was decorated with city debris, chunks of fake roadway, crash barriers, 55 gallon drums and sign posts.

Available to drive were the LR4 (Discovery replacement), Range Rover, Range Rover Sport(in between the LR4 and the Range Rover) and the Range Rover Evoque. I chose to drive a Range Rover Sport and within seconds of strapping in, I accidentally hit one of the thousands of electronic knobs and buttons controlling the vehicle, first time of three. It was easy to drive and did well on the limited terrain of the track, though we did bottom out at one point. Like most cars today, too many electronic features.

You could get your picture taken by one of the older vehicles that were on display, I was photographed in front of the Camel Trophy Discovery.  I had sent in an application for one of the Camel Trophy events years ago, but I was not chosen.

1994 Land Rover Discovery
NA Land Rover Defender 110
The Discovery again, we had one and it was one of the best vehicles we have had.
The 110 again
One of the 2 big hills, short wheel base Series Land Rover on display at the top.
From left to right, Defender 90, camera lady, Range Rover and Discovery.

As a parting gift we were given a 2Gig Flash drive in the guise of a Range Rover fob and a Land Rover NA 25th Anniversary pin.

The Land Rover event was at 18th street and 10th avenue, so I also made trips to Paragon sports, B&N books, Guitar Center and the green market at Union Square. It wouldn't have been worth making the trip for just the quick off road drive.
All in all a good day out, the precipitation never was more than a drizzle so it was enjoyable strolling about.

3 comments:

  1. That looks like an awesome event. And to be held in the middle of NYC, that's just crazy! My son and I have rocky ridge trucks and we go off roading all the time. I would like actually to try driving a Land Rover one of these days. Hopefully you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a good time at the event, the Rocky ridge modified trucks look great, they look comfortable as well, the older Land rovers are more spartan, but the newer models are more comfortable.
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Don’t panic, a simple fix is to cover the stain in salt to try and soak up some of the liquid. Coffee Machines for Home

    ReplyDelete