Saturday, February 18, 2012

Liqueur Report: St. Germain

St. Germain: A liqueur made with wild elderflower blossoms.


Saw it first in my local liqueur store while looking for Pastis, that day I purchased Pernod, but now I know I prefer Ricard.
I was first attracted by the bottle, it looks Art Deco, the labeling is very classy and mysterious. I didn't know what it was, didn't do any research, one day I just decided to buy a bottle(very unlike me).

The scent is almost cloyingly sweet. The first taste is sweet and flowery, not too syrupy and surprisingly not too sweet. There are faint citrus notes and hardly any alcohol sting. The aftertaste was pleasant and didn't outstay its welcome. My favorite daughter who lives in London no longer but has hopes to again soon, thought it smelt like Ricola cough drops and looking on Ricola's website, Elder was listed as one of their 10 magic herbs. Ricola lists Elder as good for boosting the immune system and preventing colds. I don't know if that also applies to liqueurs made from Elder.
Three out of three alcohol drinking adults currently residing in the house liked it.

Additional info;
Pale golden color
Product of France
Each bottle individually numbered, mine is #B0 4613-11
Beautiful top heavy bottle
It is suggested to consume the contents within 6 months of opening
Developed in the early 21st century by John Cooper, a third generation distiller.

NY Times review of St. Germain.

No comments:

Post a Comment