Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Time is Here

Advent-wreath-wk2-m Oh Happiness and Cheer, the Peanut’s Christmas tune compiled from multiple tabs and Youtube sources. My daughter’s guitar teacher plays this tune beautifully… and I always wanted to learn it, though I’m sure he plays it differently.

The lyrics sound happy, but the tune is so melancholy. Maybe it is just my association of the song with Charlie Brown’s poor Christmas spirit. The Peanut's Christmas specials were never my favorites. I much preferred “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” narrated by Fred Astaire as the Mailman and “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”, narrated by Burl Ives. I loved the Mailman’s North Pole “half track” Mail truck and Fred is my favorite male dancer.

So Advent time is here, countdown to Christmas and a New Year, time to decorate and bake and cook and clean. Make travel arrangements and see family. When I was a kid and we decorated, I always liked advent wreaths, we had them at home, but we never lit the candles. I guess rambunctious kids and lit candles don’t mix. Bad enough I almost set the laundry room alight trying to distill alcohol. Three more Sundays.

advent-wreath-4-candles-5

Christmas Time is Here - Vince Guaraldi

      clip_image002        clip_image004

V1 - Christmas time is here
Happiness and cheer

clip_image006 clip_image008 clip_image010
Fun for all that children call

clip_image012 clip_image014 clip_image016 clip_image018
Their favorite time of the year

V2 – same chords
Snowflakes in the air
Carols everywhere
Olden times and ancient rhymes
Of love and dreams to share

     clip_image020       clip_image022
V3- Sleigh bells in the air
Beauty everywhere
clip_image024 clip_image026

Yuletide by the fireside

clip_image028              clip_image030
And joyful memories there

V4 – same chords as V1&2

Christmas time is here
We'll be drawing near
Oh, that we could always see
Such spirit through the year
Oh, that we could always see
Such spirit through the year...

No comments:

Post a Comment