Saturday, April 27, 2013

Alpine Plant Sale

Took a drive this morning to Stone Crop Gardens for their 7th annual Alpine Plant sale, just a bit above Bear Mountain bridge. They had some of their own plants for sale and had a few other vendors also on site. After I made my purchases I took a walk around the gardens. There were a lot of alpines in troughs and in scree beds and in walls and in a huge rock ledge. There were also lots of flowers blooming along the woodland trails.

 They were just filling this pond, it must look quite natural once full.
 There were many clusters of troughs like this around the place.
 Nice detail on the edge of some of the large troughs
My two purchases
Houstonia Caerulea, Azure Bluets, planted into a trough I carved out of pumice
and 2 Cyclamen both White each with slightly different foliage, planted with my other Cyclamen in the Peony Garden.
The selection of plants at the sale was amazing, but I didn't go wild. My current focus is to get the small pond (pondlet?) in so I can landscape around it. The area will be mostly shady so I have green and white variegated types of dwarf Iris and a dwarf hosta and some ferns ready in pots for planting. I don't have the room for a wall like above, but might be able to fit in a scree bed.





No comments:

Post a Comment