Wednesday, November 16, 2011

100 Things "I" want to experience before.... Part 1

Stealing from the multitudes of books out there telling "Me" what "I" need to see before I die, I have gone and compiled my own list of things "I" want to see and maybe I'll see some of them after I die. So there. I don't need someone else telling me what I must see or do. Except for at work where I get paid to do what I'm told.

Just to be methodical, rigid and non-spontaneous I'll group the list categorically and I'll come up with 10 categories so I only need to think up 10 things for each. Most of the items I already had written down in various places. And I'm going to pretend I have unlimited funds and unlimited time off, though if you really want to do something you should probably find a way to do it. I am also going to list places or events I might have already experienced, but would do again. The list is not in any particular order, the cannon is not closed and I reserve the right to change, append, modify, fold, spindle or mutilate.
  1. Cities
    1. London, England - I always find something new to see.
    2. Rome, Italy- Roman ruins, Renaissance art and the Vatican.
    3. Vienna, Austria - Palaces, Coffeehouses and Museums.
    4. Chamonix, France - Mount Blanc and funiculars and cable cars.
    5. Western Scottish Highlands - look for a "Travel? Why Not!" post in the future.
    6. Cinque Terra - Italy 5 towns on the Mediterranean Coast linked by rail.
    7. Istanbul, Turkey - not Constantinople.
    8. Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Careful, these coffeehouses are different than in Vienna.
    9. Prague, Czech Republic - Mix of architecture styles, good beer.
    10. St. Petersburg, Russia - The Hermitage and other Palaces.
  2. Buildings
    1. The Forbidden City Beijing, China
    2. Taktsang Monastery, "Tiger's Nest" in Paro, Bhutan
    3. Machu Picchu - Peru
    4. Petra, Jordan 
    5. Sainte-Chapelle, Paris France
    6. Pyramids in Egypt
    7. Mont Saint Michel - An Abbey on an Island in Normandy, France
    8. St. Michael's Mount - A Castle on an Island in Cornwall, England
    9. Palace of Versailles, France
    10. Himeji Castle Japan, 3 hours from Tokyo
  3. Rail Journeys
    1. Glacier Express - Zermatt to St. Moritz, Switzerland. 1 day.
    2. The Canadian (Toronto to Vancouver) 4 days.
    3. The Empire Builder (Seattle to Chicago) 3 days.
    4. Winnipeg to Churchill train - Manitoba, Canada. To see polar bears. 1700km in 2 days one way, bring a book.
    5. Beijing, China to Tibet journey - To see Tibet before it is just a shell of its former self. They have bottled oxygen on the train.
    6. Trans Siberian Railway to Mongolia
    7. FEVE (Ferrocarriles Españoles de Vía Estrecha) Rail across Northern Spain - Slow Narrow Gauge Rail from Bilbao to Ferrol, many stops and a few changes. It would give me time to read Don Quixote, the thickness of the book is daunting and preventing me from even starting.
    8. The Orient Express (which doesn't exist anymore ) The best way now is a trip involving 4 changes and 3 nights, if you leave from London and end up in Istanbul.
    9. The West Highland Line - supposedly the most scenic railway in Britain.
    10. Rail Ale Trails - Cornwall, UK -  Local trains with pubs at stops along the routes. Usually terminate at scenic coastal villages with more pubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment