Sunday, October 9, 2011

Saint Martin's Summer

A period of unusually warm weather in Autumn. The term, quite popular before the discovery of the new world refers to St. Martin's day (Feast of Saint Martin, Martinmas), celebrated on November 11, it is a harvest celebration. St. Martin is the patron of beggars, vintners, equestrians, soldiers, tailors, innkeepers, alcoholics, and geese.

Was heating up my sauteed sauerkraut and venison sausage lunch and opened the fridge and this is what I saw. What a selection. That is the great thing about a poor memory, the  Surprises! And I had just bought some of them 5 hours ago.
The size order arrangement was totally accidental. I am not that rigid.

The weather is glorious and it is even nicer than yesterday. Have not posted any plant photos for awhile, we missed the Saint Michaelmas daisys(purple), the yellow fall blooming crocus (yellow), the Russian sage bush (purple) and the sweet potato vine flowering(also purple). 

Here are some cyclamen. I'm sure I mentioned it before, but I used to hate these. We sold them at our florist business and I hated moving them, hated touching them, they could get very slimy. But growing natural in the ground they are so pretty. Like little butterflies hovering. Had to look this spelling up, didn't want to imply that they were vacuuming.

Fall blooming Crocus.

2 comments:

  1. Why is the font is so small for this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have deviated from the default setting. Thanks for noticing.

    ReplyDelete