Saturday, August 15, 2015

Favorite Movies


The NY Times has a list of their 1000 best movies here. I ran across it as I was trying to find movie synopsis from the NY Times TV schedule for some of my favorite movies because some of their quips are a scream.

Here are some of my favorite movies that I just reeled off the top of my head. I could watch these movies anytime. While looking up the dates of the movies, I was reminded of the other movies made by the major actors in the films, I could have made this list so much longer.
  •  Charade (1963) Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn. Enjoyable theme music, lots of funny lines, witty dialog and suspense.  TCM says "everything you'd expect from a Hitchcock film except the famous director's name above the credits" Directed by Stanley Donen.
  • The Fifth Element (1997) Bruce Willis, Chris Tucker. Sci-Fi Shoot-em-up. Chris Tucker is a hoot, Bruce has tons of funny lines too.  Spoiler Alert: Bruce saves the day.
  • The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (1947) Cary Grant, Shirley Temple, Myrna Loy. The Uncle did it. One of the better bits of dialog is listed here.
  • The Maltese Falcon (1941) Humphrey Bogart as Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade. Lots of big stars.
  • The Big Sleep (1946) Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall. Bogart as private eye Phillip Marlow created by Raymond Chandler. There was a 1978 remake with Robert Mitchum playing Phillip Marlow, as the NY Times might say in their TV Schedule "miss it"
  • The Princess Bride (1987) Directed by Rob Reiner. Tons of memorable quotes. Inconceivable!
  • Houseboat (1958) Cary Grant, Sophia Loren. Cary is rude to Sophia, Sophia slaps Cary, Sophia becomes nanny to Cary's kids, they live on a tiny houseboat, everyone gets the wrong impression, and then surprisingly they fall in love.
  • Hot Fuzz (2007) Simon Pegg, Nick Frost. Just now noticed that Bill Baily is in the movie. FYI a Comedy. This one came up while I visiting my mom.
  • The Last Samurai (2003) Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, Billy Connely. Tom plays a Civil war hero who travels to Japan to train soldiers, gets captured by a band of Samurai and eventually is accepted because of his warrior spirit.
  • The Third Man (1949) Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles, zither music, gritty post-war Vienna and a chase through the sewers. Shot on location, the Ferris wheel is still there and you can go on a Third Man tour that include a tour of the sewer and a visit to the museum. I'll have to add that to the list of things to do in my Vienna post.

No comments:

Post a Comment