Saturday, February 7, 2015

That's Entertainment

Some entertainers I enjoy watching or listening to.

The Jam
That's Entertainment

Keith Floyd, Official site [here]
One of the earliest English celebrity chefs. He traveled to different countries and cooked local dishes out in the open or in people's homes having a slurp or two of wine along the way. He was very entertaining and you learned quite a lot about the countries in which he was in. I wrote a post after his death here.

I only saw his series "Floyd on France" on TV, but he has many other series covering other parts of the world. Some can be seen on youtube. I also have a book by him about hangovers. He had a show about French wines in which he told the viewers which wines would be on the next show so that the audience could participate (read drink) along.

Alan Watts, Official sites run by his son [here] and [here]
English philosopher known to talk about Zen Buddhism, taught in San Francisco and gave talks on KPFA.
The creators of South Park created some Alan Watts cartoons, you can find these on youtube as well as other audio and videos of talks by Alan Watts. I have a few of his books. He is a pleasure to listen to.

Chris Whent, Here of a Sunday Morning  [here]
Has an early music show on Sunday mornings on WBAI 99.5 FM from 9-11AM. I would force the kids to listen to the show as we drove to the house of worship that I was also forcing upon them. I extracted much enjoyment from this, the kids not so much.

Doug Henwood, Official sites [here] [here]
Economist with a viewpoint quite different from that of the Fair and Balanced.
Mr. Henwood edits LBO, a newsletter he founded in 1986, He also hosts Behind the News, a weekly radio show covering economics and politics on KPFA, Berkeley, that is rebroadcast on several other stations across the U.S.

Malachy McCourt [here]
Radio presenter on WBAI 99.5 FM [TalkBack], ran for governor of NY State in 2006 on the Green Party ticket. I haven't caught him lately, I like his accent, but not always his politics.

Dick Cavett Who hasn't he interviewed? Here is a short list of guests he interviewed on the Dick Cavett show. He also writes for the New York Times. Here is a piece in which he mentions his friend Malachy McCourt.

Alec Baldwin, He does a podcast called "Here's the thing" [here]. Not my favorite actor, but he has changed my opinion of a few personalities during his interview of them. I wonder if he is good enough to change my opinion of Mr. Putin.

No comments:

Post a Comment