Sunday, March 14, 2010

Something else to fix

Like I need a repair project on top of the list of build projects I have queued up. I saw lots of cool trunks, suitcases and containers in Camden Stables Market and amongst them I saw a case that would fit some of the longer tools I have or I could make it into a traveling drinks case. DSC02313Actually, I was looking for a tweed hacking jacket or a tweed vest, but had no luck there. I looked at the case and walked on and kept thinking about it and finally went back to look at it closer.

It was pretty clear it was a violin case, but I didn’t expect there to actually be a violin inside. The interior of the case was purple and the violin was a 3/4 model. This gave me further pause, there actually being a violin involved, but I decided to buy it anyway because purple is my favorite color. The price was 30 quid and the guy wasn’t budging, it would have been more but the sound post  (dowel between the front and back panels) was loose and the bridge had been broken by a previous gawker who dropped the case. They must not have know there was a violin inside either.DSC02314I will probably take it to the local small instrument repair guy and get an estimate. If it worth anything I will have the work done by a professional and if not I will try my hand at being a luthier. There is a small crack in the case, but that is well within my abilities to repair.DSC02315 If it ends up being playable, I will give it to my favorite daughter that plays bass and cello and doesn’t live in London and if not it will sit on the book shelves with the Golden Lion tamarin monkey skull egg cup and endangered eagle claws.

But, I’m keeping the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment